1.18.2009

23 Things

I got tagged by one of my old nerd camp friends! (Hi, Fumiko!)
So. 
Things about me.

  1. I really like how I feel when I manage a good run. Yesterday I got 4 miles total, running for half the time. It felt really good.
  2. On the other hand, I don't like building up to the good runs. And I'm pretty good about rationalizing NOT running if I feel tired or am sick.
  3. I recently started using www.dailymile.com to log my runs. And by recently, I mean last week. It's making me want to run a lot so I can log a lot of runs. :) Feel free to be my friend on the site. We can motivate each other!
  4. My favorite art museum that I have visited is the Museum of Fine Art in Boston. It has many different types and sources of art, it is large enough to take a whole day, if you want, and small enough to not be too intimidating.  They change things often enough that I always find something new, but there is enough that seems familiar to be comforting to go back.
  5. My love of the MFA may be linked to my love of Boston itself.  Boston is definitely large enough to be full of diversity and culture, but small enough that I love to walk around by myself. I'm not intimidated by it. 
  6. I am rather intimidated by NYC.
  7. I love teaching. I lose track of time while teaching, in some ways. I know when we've been going long enough for one class somehow, but it never feels like a full 50 or 80 min to me. 
  8. I don't think about my problems while I'm teaching. That part especially rocks.
  9. I got an iHome speaker/iPod dock for Christmas this year and my remote battery is already dead.
  10. Cool thing I saw online: there's a lady who interviews people after near-death incidents like the Hudson river plane thing.  She says that people usually behave very calmly during things like that. I find that very intriguing. 
  11. The thought of getting a tattoo seems less impossible to me lately than it used to. 
  12. I love argyle socks. Especially knee-high argyles.
  13. I started re-reading the Harry Potter books over break. I read the first four in quick succession.  I am back in NH now, and reading #5.  It's probably my least favorite because Harry is so emo and cranky the whole time, and I can't seem to get into it as easily as I did with the others. I am really looking forward to the last two though.
  14. The first time I read the last book, I cried. Frequently.
  15. I would really like to go back to Nassau, to my formerly orchard hotel. It has a pool, kitchenettes, snorkeling equipment to borrow, and a you cross the road and you're at the beach.
  16. I re-read books, re-watch movies, and apparently want to re-visit vacations.
  17. Re-doing something is comforting to me. Familiar ground. I know the lay of the land, so I am more at ease to truly experience it. 
  18. But sometimes that means that I don't make new experiences because my time is taken up with re-doing the old ones.  For example, I have several new books that I could read in my spare time, but I am using it on Harry Potter.
  19. I am really excited about teaching this semester. It's my second time doing Child Development and I feel like I've got my head wrapped around it a little better this time.  Which should make me a better teacher.
  20. I function better with order imposed on my life. This semester, my only obligations with specific time commitments are my classes and office hours. I may need to get someone to impose some more time commitments on me.
  21. I like to buy books in sets.  If I get one of a series in paperback, then I like to get the rest of the series in paperback with the same design. Makes things feel complete.
  22. Once I carved out a space half the driveway wide and one car length long for my roommate's return from a trip after a heavy snowfall.  My shoulders and arms were sore as all get-out the next day, but I was so proud of myself and my visible accomplishment.
  23. The neighbors are taking care of the driveway this winter, but I have placed the responsibility of keeping the front porch clear for the postal workers on my own shoulders.
There. I have submitted 23 things about me for your perusal and, I hope, approval.

No comments: